14 June 2011

What Kate Did... Went to St.Ives, Cornwall

I took this photograph out of the train window, it's one of the prettiest railway journeys I've been on! I'd recommend travelling to St Ives and Carbis Bay by train as parking is really, really limited and pretty expensive! St Ives is made up of narrow, winding streets and a slightly confusing one way system. So for a few pounds I would hop on the train or drive to Lelant Saltings and catch the park and ride.


Once we left the train we headed straight to Porthminster to devour the picnic we had brought with us. But beware! The seagulls in St Ives have a nasty reputation, they are incredibly bold and will try and steal your food. Tom almost lost his sandwich which was hilarious but also slightly terrifying (gulls are a lot bigger than you expect when they are flying towards your face!). If you fancy a pasty for lunch then Pengenna are the best in the West Country, according to my Devonian boyfriend. The cheese and onion one is mostly filled with potato but it's still pretty good, and they do a vegan Cornish pasty too.





Then we walked round to Porthmeor beach via the harbour to visit the Tate gallery there. I'm sure most readers are aware of the St Ives art movement and it was exciting to get up close to some of the sculptures. Student discount was a bonus (£3 entry to all exhibitions).









We spent the next couple of hours milling around the shops. There are so many galleries like you would expect as well as quaint boutiques and Tom had the ladies in Cath Kidston in fits musing "is there anything in this shop that isn't covered in flowers?"

The Barbara Hepworth sculpture gardens are also brilliant, and a must visit. If the weather is nice I am sure you will enjoy having a wander around, even if art isn't really your thing. You can get a combined ticket for both Barbara Hepworth and the Tate which is slightly cheaper.





Then we hopped in the train to Carbis Bay (3 minutes, and free with our return tickets) to The Bean Inn vegetarian restaurant. It is one of the best I've been to and I have not eaten meat since I was at primary school so I've had my share of sloppy vegetable lasagne and bean burgers when eating out! To start we shared a selection of homemade organic breads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The one with sun dried tomato bits was our favourite. Then I had a Moroccan casserole with couscous which was lovely and so filling and Tom had Thai red curry which came with noodles and a bean sprout salad.





No comments:

Post a Comment